Monday, January 23, 2012

Jury duty

As a registered voter in Wake County, NC I was called upon to perform my civic duty and attend jury duty.....or as they insist on calling it "Jury service". It's not a "duty", it's a "service", Either way, it's one of those things that sometimes you have to do as part of being a citizen!

So I went to the Wake County Courthouse, as directed, at 8:30 AM today. Lots of people....the recorded message you call prior to reporting said jurors 1-350 must attend. Didn't look like 350 people....but there were a lot!

After everyone checking in we watched a video, which really didn't tell you anything you didn't already know if you've even watched one TV show or movie about court.

Around 10:30 they called a group, around 35 people, to go to one of the courtrooms. Then the rest of us were sent to "lunch" and told to return at 2:30. I went home, pottied and played with my dogs, harassed my son, and found out the internet was all messed up.

When I returned a little before 2:30 one of the women called in the first group was there....she wouldn't say what the case was (she can't), but did say there were reporters outside.....so I'd guess it's the murder case that's been all over the news. Hearing about this case was one reason I was really concerned about going to jury duty!

Right before 2:30 another group was called to go to another courtroom. Then they called me and my group. I guess there were about 35-40 of us called.....but we were then sent home! The remaining people were going to a third courtroom.

It was weird. You know how you see movies of dancers, singers, etc (A Chorus Line comes to mind) where they pick a group of people....and everyone is envious....until the leader tells them to go home! In this case though, we were the lucky ones and the others were the envious!

So, jury duty is done. Won't get called again for at least 2 years. YAY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment